Mounting Heights Requirements For On-Premise Monument Signs
How big should monument signs be? Today’s post reviews the Carrollton Sign Regulations, explains why “biggest” isn’t always “best,” and highlights the value of professional monument sign design services in Carrollton, TX.
Read on or call 972-428-3200 to speak directly with a monument sign specialist in Carrollton, TX.
Official Height Requirements And Size Specifications For Monument Signs In Carrollton, TX
According to Section 151.30 of the Carrollton Sign Regulations, all monument signs must comply with the following specifications:
- Maximum height—6 feet, including the base. For lots over three acres or anchor tenants over 20,000 square feet, the maximum height may be up to 12 feet.
- Maximum area—60 square feet of sign copy. For lots over three acres, 100 square feet of sign copy is allowed.
- Maximum number—One per lot, except as permitted. For lots over three acres that abut Interstate 35E, multiple pylon, pole, or monument signs are allowed, but they must be separated by at least 200 feet. For multiple tenant buildings with anchor tenants exceeding 20,000 square feet, you’re allowed one additional sign per anchor tenant. For freestanding buildings in multiple tenant centers, you’re allowed one additional sign per freestanding building.
- Setback—All monument signs shall be 25 feet from the back of the curb or from the edge of the street pavement, as per Carrollton’s Visibility Ordinance.
- Copy height—Sign panels for multiple tenant monument signs shall be at least 12 inches tall. Website addresses and phone numbers shall not exceed 4 inches in height. All monument signs must include a four-digit address with numbers at least 4 inches tall.
How To Find The Best Monument Sign Height For Your Business With Signcraft And Graphics
The height requirements specified in the Carrollton Code of Ordinances will undoubtedly come in handy for keeping your signage up to code, but don’t mistake “maximum” height for “optimum” height.
While we do not recommend building your monument sign higher than the 6-foot maximum, we do encourage you to look beyond Carrollton city code for monument sign expertise. After all, as researchers Garvey & Klena (2019) wrote in the Interdisciplinary Journal of Signage and Design, many local sign ordinances give driver safety and sign visibility scant attention, regulating instead on the basis of neighborhood aesthetics (p. 3).
In the case of monument signs, bigger isn’t always better, and sub-6-foot signage may actually be more effective, depending on your target audience and surrounding signscape. For example, you might not want to add another 6-foot sign if the area is already crowded with 6-foot-tall displays; in this case, it might be more effective to build something shorter, so that your brand message occupies its own “tier.”
For help finding the optimal height for your monument sign, use the contact information below to book a site survey and design consultation.
Book A Free Monument Sign Design Consultation In Carrollton, TX
Call 972-428-3200 or visit the SignCraft and Graphics website to book a free consultation and get a quote on any custom monument sign order.Back